SVP of Public Policy, Legislation and Regulations
Join on the heart-warming journey with a team that is a top leader in the rehabilitation industry
Encompass Health is the leader in inpatient rehabilitation industry, you'll feel the Encompass Health difference as soon as you join. We collaborate and provide high-quality, compassionate, individualized care for our patients, allowing us time to get to know them and help them achieve their goals during their rehabilitation journey.
Sitting in our Washington, DC office, the Senior Vice President of Public Policy, Legislation and Regulations is responsible for overseeing the company's government relations and legislative and regulatory efforts, including primary responsibility for interactions with federal entities and supporting the company's interactions with state and local entities. The position is responsible for managing relationships with elected officials and administrative agency staff to lobby for regulatory and legal results that positively affect the company. The SVP of Public Policy, Legislation and Regulations represents the company in front of appropriate government, industry, and trade association bodies. The position also is responsible for developing legislative and regulatory strategy, including recommending priorities and communicating changes in policies to the CEO and Executive Team.
Responsibilities & Tasks
- Policy Development: Develop, implement, and monitor healthcare policy strategies in alignment with the organization's goals.
- Regulatory Compliance: Support compliance with healthcare laws and regulations, stay updated on changes in legislation, regulation, and government enforcement actions, and collaborate with company's Legal, Compliance and Reimbursement/Provider Enrollment departments.
- Advocacy: Represent the organization's interests before government bodies, industry and trade associations, and policy groups.
- Legislative Affairs: Monitor, analyze, and influence federal legislation and regulations affecting the company, and represent the company's interests to lawmakers and policymakers; consult with Legal, Compliance and Reimbursement/Provider Enrollment regarding state and local legislation and regulation; provide legal research, analysis, and comment on draft legislation and regulations.
- Public Relations: Build and maintain relationships with key healthcare influencers, media, and advocacy groups.
- Strategic Planning: Contribute to the development of the organization's long-term public policy strategy.
- Risk Management: Assess potential risks related to legislative and regulatory changes and enforcement actions and develop strategies to mitigate them; identify and prioritize opportunities to mitigate risk by pursuing changes to existing legislation, regulation, and policy.
- Stakeholder Engagement: Engage with healthcare providers, payers, and government agencies to achieve common goals.
- Budget Oversight: Manage department budgets and budgets for public policy initiatives, ensuring effective resource allocation.
- Team Leadership: Lead a team of policy experts, analysts, and lobbyists.
- Communication: Communicate policy positions internally and externally; consult with Legal, Compliance and Reimbursement/Provider Enrollment to implement legal and regulatory compliance programs in the field through Operations, Medical Service, and other departments.
- Research and Analysis: Stay informed about healthcare trends, research, and data to inform policy decisions.
- Ethical Compliance: Ensure that all actions and strategies adhere to ethical standards and the organization's values.
- Crisis Management: Develop strategies to handle policy-related crises or controversies.
- Report to Leadership: Regularly report on the progress and results of public policy efforts to the organization's executive leadership.
- Vendor Management: Oversee and manager vendor relationships, ensuring alignment with organization's goals.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Minimum 10-15 years' experience in the government relations field.
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships with high-ranking government officials, government staff, and senior-level private sector representatives, among others.
- Strong lobby experience within the Healthcare Industry and knowledge of healthcare laws and regulation.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and ability to impact legislative and regulatory processes.
- Demonstrated ability to address non-healthcare legislative or regulatory issues, as necessary, through appropriate resources.
- Demonstrated ability to manage outside vendors and professionals, including law firms and lobbyists.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
Skills and Abilities
- Oral communication, written communication, active listening.
- Information ordering, deductive reasoning, social perceptiveness, time management, critical thinking.
- Ability to coordinate, analyze, observe, make decisions, negotiate, and meet deadlines in a detail-oriented manner.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Strong presentation skills.
- Ability to review various forms of data and make recommendations.
- Proficient computer skills.
- Skill in reviewing/negotiating legal verbiage in contracts.
- Understanding of healthcare billing and reimbursement methodologies.
- Detailed understanding of complex payor contracts, contract terms, and reimbursement structures.
- Ability to manage others.
A little about us
We're confident you'll see the difference the moment you join our team. Working at Encompass Health means working with a growing national inpatient rehabilitation leader. We're proud of our career growth opportunities and how our team members work together for the greater good of our patients. We've been named one of the "World's Most Admired Companies" and a Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For® Award, among others, which is pretty amazing.
Our benefits start day one
- Affordable medical, dental and vision plans for full-time and part-time employees and their families.
- Generous paid time off that accrues over time.
- Tuition reimbursement and continuing education opportunities.
- Company-matching 401(k) and employee stock purchase plans.
- Flexible spending and health savings accounts.
- A community of people who love what they do. Yes, we see that as a benefit.