As a national leader in post-acute care, Encompass Health (NYSE: EHC) offers facility-based patient care through its network of inpatient rehabilitation hospitals. With a national footprint that spans 153 hospitals in 36 states and Puerto Rico, the Company is committed to delivering high-quality, cost-effective rehabilitation. Encompass Health has been ranked by Modern Healthcare as a Best Place to Work, and our Home Office is consistently rated a Best Place to Work by the Birmingham Business Journal.
The Payroll Specialist performs and creates accurate and timely payment to employees in compliance with regulations and in accordance with company policies and procedures. This is accomplished by reconciling facility and employee level compensation, tax, and benefit information. This position is the primary business partner for assigned facilities' Payroll and Human Resource management and assists in troubleshooting questions regarding all aspects of payroll items.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
- Demonstrates commitment to hospitals regarding payroll payment, taxes, deductions and benefits.
- Accesses current policies and procedures and incorporates into daily activities.
- Initiates supervisor review on questionable items including employee pay, taxation, and benefits.
- Works closely with teammates to recognize and report payroll issues to the supervisor.
- Works with hospital personnel to deliver timely and accurate information and payments.
- Processes intercompany mail and fax distribution within payroll department.
- Operates folding/sealing equipment, as needed, to complete payroll processing.
- Processes payrolls under the direct guidance of the Supervisor.
- Processes general deductions, employee tax setups, garnishments, and time entry.
- Works with hospital payroll representatives on processing issues.
- Processes off-cycle check requests.
- Provides phone coverage to all hospitals.
- Updates to PeopleSoft employee information.
- Keys and reconciles payroll.
- Counts checks and matches totals to weekly facility information sheets.
- Communicates with HR on new hires and checks system for new hire activity.
- Coordinates workflow with supervisor in order to achieve maximum efficiency.
- Is responsible for all tax data set up changes.
- Assists hospitals with pay designation questions.
- Verifies payroll totals for hospital.
- Monitors and reviews overpayment and collection issues.
- Enters Direct Deposit Information for assigned employees at assigned facilities.
- Processes and maintains files on all stop payment and direct deposit information.
- Maintains reporting on payroll wires and direct deposit reversals.
- Covers any person's desk if they are unable to report to work.
- Answers employee and hospitals questions via phone and email.
- Processes corporate office payroll if assigned facility.
- Prints corporate payroll checks and reports if assigned facility.
- Prints and distributes punch detail reports if assigned to corporate.
- Tracks compliance with timesheet requirements.
- Creates balance adjustments as needed.
- Enters benefit deduction refunds and coordinate mailing.
- Maintains Payroll UPS terminal and assists with tracking on undelivered packages.
- Processes Relocation Payments.
- Sets up garnishments and answers garnishments that require response.
- Processes modifications to existing garnishments (including releases).
- Creates, sends and maintains garnishment file to accounts payable.
- Corresponds with employees and hospital contacts regarding all garnishment issues.
- Resolves garnishment withholding errors.
- Adds new vendors to Garn Payee Table in PeopleSoft.
- Answers calls from Garnishment Hotline and emails from Garnishment Issues mailbox.
- Holds payments for garnishments that require the employer to hold payments until a specific time.
- Runs query to identify terminated employees with active garnishments.
- Notifies Withholding Agencies of terminated employees.
- Contacts appropriate parties for garnishments that have met limit amount.
- Determines if garnishments are paid in full.
- Contacts Accounts Payable and determine if garnishments received for non-employees may be for contract workers.
- Contacts HR regarding employees with active garnishments that have been on leave or without pay for more than 12 weeks.
- Prepares garnishment checks for mailing.
- Undergraduate or Associates preferred; some payroll experience or related field
A little about us
We're confident you'll see the difference the moment you join our team. Working at Encompass Health means working with a growing national inpatient rehabilitation leader. We're proud of our career growth opportunities and how our team members work together for the greater good of our patients. We've been named one of the "World's Most Admired Companies" and a Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For® Award, among others, which is pretty amazing.
Our benefits start day one
- Affordable medical, dental and vision plans for full-time and part-time employees and their families.
- Generous paid time off that accrues over time.
- Tuition reimbursement and continuing education opportunities.
- Company-matching 401(k) and employee stock purchase plans.
- Flexible spending and health savings accounts.
- A community of people who love what they do. Yes, we see that as a benefit.